When filling an import declaration, you will need to include a ten-digit tariff code for importing wholesale from the EU to the UK. A Tariff code contains information regarding the identity of your goods, the amount of duty owed on your goods and the customs procedure to follow. Some goods like footwear, toys, textiles and plastics are difficult to classify, but most of the popular imports are pretty straightforward. For example:
- To import wholesale plastic hair combs, grips or pins use the code 9615110000,
- To bring in hairdryers in bulk use code 8516310000,
- Use code 4909000000 to import greeting cards,
- Enter code 9101110000 to bring in men’s wristwatches,
- Import women’s leather handbags with the code 4202210090 and
- Mobile phone cases using the code 4202321000.
To use the tariff tool you need to know the type of product, how it is used, the production methods and materials and the way it’s packaged.
Here are some tips on finding commodity codes in the tariff chapters:
- Enter a search phrase – an object may not be mentioned by name; instead, it may be listed under what it is used for or made of.
- The search tool will return a list of sections divided into chapters.
- The headings in each chapter describe a product, only select a sub-heading that accurately describes the item.
- If none of the results accurately describe your item, check further down the list – if none of the sub-headings matches your item using the ‘other’ heading.